by BCNN1 Editors
Even as Christians, we sometimes get too invested in temporal matters such as politics. And when things do not turn out as we want them to, we have a tendency to cease moving forward as though all is lost. Christians, however, have an abiding hope in Jesus Christ. Our destinies are not tied to a presidential election or anything else that is in this world. As Paul admonished Timothy, we should not get tied up in the affairs of this world. He wrote in 2 Timothy 2:4: "No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier."
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
We are indeed soldiers in the army of the Lord, and just as Roman soldiers were to be dedicated to the army above all else, we are to be dedicated to Jesus Christ above anything else in this world. And we should keep moving forward in the work that He has called us to do. Below are five things Christians should do in the wake of the election and over the course of the next four years if the Lord should tarry His coming.
1. Confess and repent of sin. If we truly want God to bless this nation, we must get rid of sin in our own lives. It is easy for us to point the finger at others in our country and identify their sins. But the Bible says, "judgment must begin at the house of God." As Christians, we need to make sure that we have confessed and repented of our sins so that we can be an honest, compassionate, and prophetic voice to the rest of the nation.
2. Focus on family. Before God created the church and before God created the government, He created the family. The family is the nucleus of society. If our families are broken, our whole society will begin to crumble. For the next four years, focus on improving your relationship with your spouse and raising your children according to Biblical principles.
3. Ask God to send revival to His church. The problems that America faces were brought on primarily because the church has failed in its mission of being the salt and light to a lost and dying world. The body of Christ in America is desperately in need of revival. Pray and ask God to send a revival to His church.
4. Share your faith. The last words of Jesus Christ were a command to "go into all the world and preach the Gospel." This is one of the core injunctions of Christianity. We cannot hope to transform our nation unless the people of this nation are transformed. And the only way they can be transformed is through a personal relationship with the real and living Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ. Quite frankly, it was very sad and disturbing to see born-again Christians knocking on millions of doors, making millions of phone calls, and sending millions of tweets for a presidential candidate; but if the pastor asked those same people to knock on doors, make phone calls, and send out tweets to bring others to Jesus Christ, he can't get anybody to do that.
5. Pray for the President and all governmental leadership in this country, be they Democrat, Republican, or Independent. I Timothy 2:1-4 says, "I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty." There is an old saying that has been oft-repeated: "Prayer changes things." If you do not like something that our nation's leadership is doing, pray about it.
No matter whether you voted for Obama or Romney, no matter what side of the political tracks you are on, let's not lay down our spiritual weapons now. Second Corinthians 10:4 says, "For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds."
With that said, Onward, Christian Soldiers!
Keep in mind the old hymn by Sabine Baring-Gould titled "Onward, Christian Soldiers":
Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,With the cross of Jesus going on before.Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;Forward into battle see His banners go!Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,With the cross of Jesus going on before.At the sign of triumph Satan's host doth flee;On then, Christian soldiers, on to victory!Hell's foundations quiver at the shout of praise;Brothers lift your voices, loud your anthems raise.Like a mighty army moves the church of God;Brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod.We are not divided, all one body we,One in hope and doctrine, one in charity.What the saints established that I hold for true.What the saints believèd, that I believe too.Long as earth endureth, men the faith will hold,Kingdoms, nations, empires, in destruction rolled.Crowns and thrones may perish, kingdoms rise and wane,But the church of Jesus constant will remain.Gates of hell can never gainst that church prevail;We have Christ's own promise, and that cannot fail.Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng,Blend with ours your voices in the triumph song.Glory, laud and honor unto Christ the King,This through countless ages men and angels sing.
from the Editors of BCNN1