Faced with two massive law enforcement situations -- security for the Grammy Awards and a manhunt for an ex-cop wanted in three slayings -- the Los Angeles Police Department declared a tactical alert Sunday night.
Photo: Police block a street near Staples Center in advance of the Grammy Awards. Credit: Frederic J. Brown / AFP/Getty Images
The LAPD did not detail its Grammy security arrangements, but the department regularly sends a large contingent of officers to awards shows.
This year, the Grammys occurred on the fifth day of a manhunt for Christopher Dorner, who is suspected of killing an Irvine couple and a Riverside police officer.
The tactical alert came the same day that Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced a $1-million reward for information leading to Dorner's capture.
"We will not tolerate anyone undermining the security of this community," Villaraigosa said at a news conference at LAPD headquarters downtown. "We will not tolerate this reign of terror."
Dorner allegedly carried out the slayings as part of a vengeful campaign sparked by his 2009 dismissal from the Los Angeles Police Department, authorities said.
Sunday's tactical alert was declared shortly after 2 p.m. In a tactical alert, officers can be held over on their shifts and do not respond to low-priority radio calls.
Officials hope the huge reward will give police the break they've been waiting for.
Police Chief Charlie Beck said the reward was "the largest local reward ever offered to our knowledge." The reason for such a significant reward, Beck said, was "not about capturing a fleeing suspect, but about preventing another crime, likely another murder."
"This is an act of domestic terrorism," Beck said of those killed and allegedly targeted by Dorner. "He has targeted those we entrust to protect the public."
A massive manhunt for Dorner began last week after the 33-year-old former officer and Navy veteran allegedly began a deadly campaign that has left an Irvine couple and a Riverside police officer dead.
The city of Los Angeles, law enforcement organizations, private groups and anonymous donors have all contributed to the reward fund, according to law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation.
Source: The LA Times | Andrew Blankstein and Wesley Lowrey