Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer just put up a blog post announcing a "new, more modern" Yahoo.
It's her long-expected, this-time-it's-official update to the Yahoo homepage.
She says the page is more personal.
- "A newsfeed with infinite scroll."
- "You can log in with your Yahoo! or Facebook ID to get articles from thousands of news sources as well as those shared by your friends."
- New applications, like a list of your Facebook friends' birthdays.
- Refreshed "Yahoo! editorial features."
- The list of popular searches of the moment has a "refreshed" look.
- It's faster.
- It's optimized for tablets and smartphones.
The business goal for the new homepage is simple: Yahoo needs to grow its userbase, and it needs all of it users to spend more time on the site.
At a Goldman Sach's conference in San Francisco last week, Mayer put it this way: "I'm not confused, our biggest problem right now is impressions. We're growing prices, we need to grow usage."
SOURCE: Nicholas Carlson