- 15 million single parents in the United States
- 50% of babies today born outside marriage
- 78% of current prison population were raised in single parent homes
- 27% of single parents live on government assistance
- Abuse is twice as likely in a single parent home
- Children of single parents are 5 times more likely to commit suicide
- Children of single parents are 10 times more likely to drop out of high school
That paints a pretty grim picture, doesn't it? These aren't debatable statistics. Simply Google and you will find these and other similar numbres.This is fact,verified and substantiated. Is that to say that there aren't successful single parents all over the country? Of course not! There are many who are successful, determined, and parenting effectively, but.....the truth is that many, many are not!
"Gosh, Jennifer, you are writing to a group of Christian brothers and sisters. Some of us are even single parents ourselves. Do we really need to hear that?!" Yes. Because who changes this? We all do!
So what do WE do? How do WE fix it? We know that the government provides financial assistance, but what about the spiritual and emotional guidance that so many single parents yearn for? What about effective parenting techniques? What about fellowship, networking, and relationships with other single parents?
There are four main areas that many single parents need assistance in at one time or another: parenting, finances, emotional stability, and spiritual growth. Many non-profits and churches provide assistance in perhaps one or two of the areas, but there are very few providing a well-rounded program in all four.
Click here to read more.